[Mageia-i18n] mailing lists for i18n language teams

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Mon Jan 10 00:23:49 CET 2011

Le dimanche 09 janvier 2011 à 19:25 +0100, Frederic Janssens a écrit :
> On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 19:05, Marianne Lombard <marianne at tuxette.fr> wrote:
> >

> > > Pardon my ignorance, but what is
> > >
> > > i18n-af at ml.mageia  ?
> > >
> > > We are still waiting fori18n-za at ml.mageia   :)
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Gripen

> > I think it's for afrikaans
> >
> probably, but that means that the former decision has not been respected :

Excuse me, but what former decision ?

AFAIK, the only thing that would remotely look like a decision was  for
irc channel, not written anywhere and not even properly summarized or
explain to anybody.

People asked for ( without exception ) for i18n-$code, with $code being
all 2 letters, like that we use for language on :
- glibc alias
- blog and wiki all over the web

and also used by gettext, and so transifex.

Not following this would simply make the life of admin harder if we want
to automate the system. IE, what if we want to make some kind of tool
that send all commits to the german translation to i18n german list.

On all software I have seen, it would be de.po, so that quite easy to to
with a regexp :
(..).po -> i18n-$1

Without, we would just have to do a table of conversion, which would be
just annoying, manual and so prone to breakage.

So it make sense to simply follow the same scheme as glibc, as this is
basically the one that's used everywhere.

--
Michael Scherer