[Mageia-i18n] Status of mailing list requests and blog page translations

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 26 00:38:15 CET 2011

2011/1/25 Marcello Anni <marcello.anni at alice.it>:
>> Hi,
>>

>> 3. Consistency of the blog pages:
>>
>> We should stick to simple rules to have the blog in a consistent state
>> for all languages:
>>
>> 1. The original page is the english page.
>>  - all language pages should resemble the English page (only in the
>> respective language)
>>
>> 2. If you want to enter local / own contents to blog.mageia.org
>> (something about a local Mageia event, etc.)
>>  - send the text in English to the blog-team
>>  - after the blog-team has published the text you can publish it in
>> your blog page as well
>>  - this way all other pages will know about the entry and publis it, too
>>
> i don't agree with this general statement. i think local events/articles
> should be inserted only in the related blogs, main events/articles should be
> hosted in every version.

Ok, you may have a point here but only when you are talking about
really small local events. Even then it is of interest for the whole
community what goes on in all parts of the world, if one community is
involved in some activity other communities can learn about that. Such
information also shows the visiting reader that Mageia is active all
over the world.

Example: The French Mageia people will probably participate in the
Solutions Linux event in Paris - this is something all pages should
publish, same as the German community participating in Linuxtag in
Berlin or some other community demonstrating Mageia at a large local
event in their country.

> they are only a few words about the submitting of packages in the repository,
> i will let you have soon an english version (in this ml)

Hmm, I see from your English translation that you are talking about
the Mageia repos - what makes you think that this is an Italian-only
topic?

You don't have to wait for the English page admins if you think there
should be an article about something related to Mageia. Do not
hesitate to send your English draft to the blog-team for publishing on
the English page so all other languages can publish the same
information. This way all readers will have that information, not only
the Italian readers.

blog-team is rda and damsweb (mostly), or misc or ennael, they will
take care of the article. I'm not in the blog-team.

> i totally disagree, if an italian lives in germany he must know at least the
> basis of the language where he lives,

Yes, that's what some German politicians keep saying. But I must spoil
your idealistic point of view - there is a large percentage of foreign
people living in Germany who only speak very little German or no
German at all. This does not only apply to first generation imigrants
(older people) but also to kids and younger people today. That's a big
problem in Germany. Those people will definitely not look at the
German pages but at the pages in their language. Why do you think
there are turkish sections in some Linux forums?

It may be different in other countries, though.

--
wobo