[Mageia-i18n] Status of mailing list requests and blog page translations

Marcello Anni marcello.anni at alice.it
Wed Jan 26 11:00:45 CET 2011

> 2011/1/25 Marcello Anni <marcello.anni at alice.it>:
> >> Hi,
> >>

> >> 3. Consistency of the blog pages:
> >>
> >> We should stick to simple rules to have the blog in a consistent state
> >> for all languages:
> >>
> >> 1. The original page is the english page.
> >>  - all language pages should resemble the English page (only in the
> >> respective language)
> >>
> >> 2. If you want to enter local / own contents to blog.mageia.org
> >> (something about a local Mageia event, etc.)
> >>  - send the text in English to the blog-team
> >>  - after the blog-team has published the text you can publish it in
> >> your blog page as well
> >>  - this way all other pages will know about the entry and publis it, too
> >>
> > i don't agree with this general statement. i think local events/articles
> > should be inserted only in the related blogs, main events/articles should
be
> > hosted in every version.
>
> Ok, you may have a point here but only when you are talking about
> really small local events. Even then it is of interest for the whole
> community what goes on in all parts of the world, if one community is
> involved in some activity other communities can learn about that. Such
> information also shows the visiting reader that Mageia is active all
> over the world.
>
> Example: The French Mageia people will probably participate in the
> Solutions Linux event in Paris - this is something all pages should
> publish, same as the German community participating in Linuxtag in
> Berlin or some other community demonstrating Mageia at a large local
> event in their country.

ok, you changed my opinion : ) so, we can do global posts for major events and
only local posts for small events?

> > they are only a few words about the submitting of packages in the
repository,
> > i will let you have soon an english version (in this ml)
>
> Hmm, I see from your English translation that you are talking about
> the Mageia repos - what makes you think that this is an Italian-only
> topic?

in fact i didn't say that in this regard, i've noticed only that only twitter
feeds were inserted and i thought english blogteam didn't want to add a
specific post about that topic

> You don't have to wait for the English page admins if you think there
> should be an article about something related to Mageia. Do not
> hesitate to send your English draft to the blog-team for publishing on
> the English page so all other languages can publish the same
> information. This way all readers will have that information, not only
> the Italian readers.

i will do it : )

> blog-team is rda and damsweb (mostly), or misc or ennael, they will
> take care of the article. I'm not in the blog-team.
>
> > i totally disagree, if an italian lives in germany he must know at least
the
> > basis of the language where he lives,
>
> Yes, that's what some German politicians keep saying. But I must spoil
> your idealistic point of view - there is a large percentage of foreign
> people living in Germany who only speak very little German or no
> German at all. This does not only apply to first generation imigrants
> (older people) but also to kids and younger people today. That's a big
> problem in Germany. Those people will definitely not look at the
> German pages but at the pages in their language. Why do you think
> there are turkish sections in some Linux forums?

ok, i didn't know there are this kind of issues in germany. anyway, we could
maintain me proposal i made above, small events->local blogs (+eventually a
few words in the languages spoken near the event); major events->global blog

> It may be different in other countries, though.
>
> --
> wobo

cheers,
Marcello