[Mageia-i18n] Need clarification about tx and svn

Oliver Burger oliver.bgr at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 15 08:24:20 CEST 2011

Am Dienstag, 14. Juni 2011, 23:35:34 schrieb atilla ontas:
> Hi, I was long time away from Linux and Mageia translations. So, i
> missed a lot, Would somebody reply my below questions?
>
> 1 - Which one is the base for translations, tx or svn? I mean, which
> one is up-to-date sources? Which one i should trust, downloaded tx pot
> file or svn checkedout pot file to translate against? I svn checkout
> anonymously svn .pos and see that some po files fully translated by
> me, as i'm also Mandriva translator, but tx shows them untranslated.
> Also, some files are mostly translated, I completed translation, chek
> for errors against pot and tried to upload to tx but tx gave me
> errors, said that i should check against pot and rejected my po file,
I can't reproduce this. Could you send me the files in question so I can have a
look?
As for the status: I did not upload any files to Tx for teams not existant
since it would give a wrong expression in statistics.
But I have told numerous times on the ml, that new formed teams should get
their po files from svn and upload them to Tx. It is a one time task for each
team and it's simple enough...
The actual work should be done in Tx, since at least in teams consisting of
more then one person, it's easier to collaborate especially since not all
people have svn commit rights.
But perhaps I should write another wiki article about it...

> 2 - I am Turkish translation team leader substitude also, May i svn
> commit if our team leader unavailable, of course with his permission?
Normally every team has two commiters, I will have to ask the sysadmin team
about your status though. I can't look it up myself.
As to the internal organisation of your team. That's something that should be
discussed among yourselves. There is a mailing list for the turkish
translators, so that's the place to do it.
https://ml.mageia.org/wwsympa-wrapper.fcgi/info/i18n-tr

> 3 - How we would manage new translators commits on tx? Is there any
> translation approval mechanism or should team leader or me control all
> translations?
There's no approval mechanism now, but I know, that Jean-Philipe from Mandriva
is working on some fix/addon whatever to do this.
Normally I do trust my fellow translators not to wreck translations. Again, it
depends on your teams setup. Most translations are quite straightforward and
in case of doubt, that's where the language mailing list comes in. Discuss it.
But: at least in the German team, my substitute and I did proofread every
translation before actually commiting it to svn.

> 4- Is there any web interference that a team member can see all
> translation status for all packages, like we used to see Mandriva
> Translation statistics?
https://transifex.mageia.org/projects/p/mageia_i18n/r/mga1/
If you click on the language name, you will get statistics for that language.

See you arround and welcome back,

Oliver