[Mageia-i18n] Important: freeze report and reminder on the translation process

Rémi Verschelde rverschelde at gmail.com
Mon May 9 18:15:20 CEST 2011

Hi guys,

First of all, you may have read on the ML mageia-dev that the freeze
is reported to the 13th of May (instead of tomorrow, May 10th), i.e.
on Friday.
So, we get a little more time to finish or polish our translations and
to commit them to the SVN, and I remind you Oliver's instructions: the
top priority is to translate the "drakx_" projects (the projects whose
name on Tx begins with "drakx_") and draklive-install. Those are
projects relative to the installer and we can't modify the installer
once the ISOs are released. The other projects may be translated later
thanks to updates.

Second, it seems that some teams don't follow the general process
which was given for translations. Some of you begin the translation
from scratch on Tx while 90% of the strings were already translated on
the SVN, or import the po files from Mandriva's SVN. That is wrong.
So, what is the general process? It has been posted here many times,
but here it is again so that everyone can apply it:

1) When there is no translation on Tx for a project, download the
corresponding po file on Mageia's SVN. Please be sure to download from
Mageia's SVN and not Mandriva's, for the po files on our SVN have been
cleaned. You can find a list of the URLs to the SVN for each project
here: http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=translators:transifex_list_of_projects

2) Upload the downloaded po file to Tx, as a translation for the
corresponding project. You will see that most of the strings are
already localised, and that you just have to translate the remaining
ones (and maybe proofread all the strings if you have enough time).
Here is a short guide for Tx:
http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=translators:tx_short_guide

3) Once the file is fully translated, or if you don't have the time to
finish it before the freeze, download the modified po file from Tx,
and commit it back to Mageia's SVN. Committers are generally local
teams leaders, so you can ask them to do it. If you don't know who
is/are the team leader(s) for your team, please ask us here on the ML.
Here is a guide for committers if you're not used to SVN:
http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=translators:tx_commiter_guide
(Again, you can ask here for help).

I think that's it. If there is anything you don't understand or
disagree with, please tell us. Don't start a translation from scratch
on your own (unless Mandriva was not translated to your language, of
course); it is a loss of time and of efficiency.

Regards,
Rémi / Akien