[Mageia-i18n] glossaries creation

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Thu May 26 19:19:28 CEST 2011

2011/5/26 Julia Jumeau <julia.jumeau at orange.fr>:
> Le jeudi 26 mai 2011 18:19:52, Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :
>> 2011/5/26 Julia Jumeau <julia.jumeau at orange.fr>:
>> >

>> > Once upon a time, i had some courage and began
>> >
>> > http://www.mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=translators
>> >
>> > at the bottom of the page
>> >
>> > and I need some comments.
>> >

>> > At Solutions Linux days I spoke with some fedora translators and some people
> of
>> > traduc.org : it would be good to compare some translations, and to think
> about
>> > some different words  used there and there ; and some other wlld
> imaginings...
>>
>> Isn't this different for each language?
>> There are already very good lists by kde.org and Gnome. Using them
>> would be a good idea because that would care for a common "glossary"
>> of upstream translations and Mageia.
>
> Yes but it's not that simple, ! even inside  Mageia french team some divergences
> can be noticed, inside a same document or text, we sometimes translate the
> english word in a way, then in another one ; it was just to begin a comparison,
> tryng to find a common ground ; and some of us think quite stupid to try to
> translate the same strings, for fedora or for mageia ; kde and gnome teams would
> be contacted either : I am following kde french teams at the present.

Yes, that were the exact reasons why such large projects like KDE and
Gnome started their glossary in various languages. You are using the
french KDE glossary, Germans will (hopefully) come to terms to follow
a German existing glossary.
What I mean is, we do not need to re-invent something which already
has been done by large projects with many language teams. We can use
their work and can extend it fur us with special Mageia strings for
Mageia apps. There we can use existing Mandriva terms which are used
in documentation and other places.

--
wobo