[Mageia-i18n] Yet another converted page for lang files translation system

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 15:36:13 CEST 2012

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Filip Komar <filip.komar at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Speaking of report page, shall we make a small tweet to encourage
>> translators? (especially fi, lv, tr, nl, zh-tw and nb) we have 6
>> languages complete above 90%, 5 others above 30% and 11 below.
> I'm very interested in anything that will help to encourage us.
> Well, speaking of "empty" translations. There was also ca (Catalan I
> think) in langs. As there was no ca in root that link was 404 so I
> removed it from /langs (r1603).

Right. If we get to have translations for pages in Catalan, we can
reopen it - I guess I added it because there's a ca version of the
global nav (http://nav.mageia.org/langs/ca.lang).

> I noticed that those empty directories you left behind:
> /www/trunk/press/
> /www/trunk/pr/
> I'll remove them if you don't mind as they return 403.

Ah yes, please.

> I'm afraid that I don't get this on wiki that
> "en/about/2010-sept-announcement.html" "should not be translated, it's
> an historical document per se - rda". It already is translated in some
> languages. Can you please explain a bit more. What about
> "charter.html" and "founders.html"? I think the first one is important
> for PR. Am I wrong?

The Sept. announcement has been translated in many languages, and not
perfectly kept in sync at the time (about the list of signing people
mostly). It won't change, ever. And it's a long, static document. So I
wouldn't port it to a lang file format but keep it as it is. That's
what I meant: with long documents, it may be simpler to actually
translate it in full; but that's just my take, feel free to disagree.

founders, I'd reformulate it completely actually, if we were to have
better governance/history docs. It could go into the about/ section,
linked from the timeline at least.

charter is rather important indeed, but out of date already and we
should get a significant update about our style guide by the end of
September. So I'd leave it as it is in this current form.

> I noticed that you removed "en/downloads/dl.php" from list in wiki.

Yes, I updated the link so it points to downloads/get/ (dl.php was an
old redirector, it's deprecated; I'll remove it in the coming weeks).

> That reminds me. If I'll do a lang conversion I intend to join pages
> for mga1 as you did it for 2. This makes sense for me. But I'm afraid
> that it's very unlikely that there will be any new translations for
> mga1. I hesitate to translate them in Slovenian too. I'm in a dilemma
> if conversion of those mga1 pages even makes sense. Are a few hours of
> work worth the effort as support for mga1 will end in 4 months? Any
> feedback from anybody will help me decide.

I don't think it's worth the effort. If you want figures, over the
past months, all /1/ pages gathered about 3k page views (that is, 100
every day). And it will go down. All /2/ gathered 14k.

> Romain, I got another idea from you :). Thanks. In downloads/get page
> and lang files I'll replace:
> https://bugs.mageia.org
> with:
> https://bugs.mageia.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Websites&format=guided&component=www.mageia.org

Yep. Saw that and was lazy to do the full replacement. Thanks! :-p

> That reminds me. I think that it's very unfortunate that
> "report-a-bug" page is not used (linked) any more. In my eyes
> currently looks nicer and more informative than wiki page
> (https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Bugzilla#How-to_report_a_bug).

Well, I agree, and the page may even be improved with some graphics or
better language. Ideas/actions welcome (about to link to it).

Thanks again and have a nice week-end!