[Mageia-i18n] Wiki translation discussion

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 11:06:18 CEST 2012

Hi Anne,

thanks for the feedback and the precisions.

It still doesn't convince me that it's better than the Wikipedia way -
it may be that I'm used to it, that we experienced an awful previous
experience with non-flat page names and mixed translations in
mediawiki (early MDV wiki circa 2007), and that I don't take it as a
_translators_ job, as to port articles from one language to an other,
but as a _all contributors_ to maintain and keep in sync their
respective pages in the wikis - and to use bots to help them in this
task between languages. But my POV alone doesn't matter, and there's
not one single best solution.

You (doc and i18n teams) are the ones to be in charge of coordinating
and herding all this, I'm not in the doc or i18n teams and if you
think guys this is better, so be it. In this case, you should quickly
devise an alternative plan (or progressive migration plan) to
advocate, as we already have a setup ready for several, language-based
instances of Mediawiki (wiki.mageia.org/en is on, /de is ready,
interwiki links are coming, and others may arrive).

Migrating is not _hard_ (a permanent redirect from all URLs in
wiki.m.o/en/ to wiki.m.o/ + updated wiki config) but we need to have a
clear and common understanding and direction here. obgr is looking at
the Translate extension.