[Mageia-i18n] Translating the name of the distribution Mageja

Filip Komar filip.komar at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 20:01:24 CET 2012

On 14 November 2012 14:24, Romain d'Alverny <rdalverny at gmail.com> wrote:
> So you do so as well with the name of people or places? (just curious)
In Slovene language we use declension on names too. Our language rules
are pretty complex and we also have a lot of exceptions. Of course
there are some names that are protected and the simplest way out from
there is to use adjective so that declension is used there and not on
the name itself.
For example to translate word Mageia in web pages was really a
challenge as it wasn't always 100% obvious if that word goes to the
community, association, project or distribution. In such cases I used
more common phrases or words then absolutely correct by all the rules
of our language. We have so called "book language" (direct word for
word translation) but it's almost exclusively used in books, national
TV and radio. Not to mention many dialects we have. Many have their
own rules and words from neighbour countries (Italy, Austria, Hungary
and Croatia) so it's a big challenge to understand them fully.

So our language is quite hard to learn well and we're also small
country (only 2 millions). But that doesn't stop some people from
Europe or even Japan to learn it ;).

I hope that these facts are interesting to some ;).

Have fun in waiting alpha3,
Filip.