[Mageia-marketing] Communication about the alpha and the ISO 0 release

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 11:18:27 CET 2011

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 01:00, Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2011/2/8 Marcello Anni <marcello.anni at alice.it>:
>> yes : ) the ancient wise says "if you want a thing to be remembered, put it on
>> its name" : ) (copyright by Marcello Anni 2011)

Good point.

> But I agree in one point - it may be good to find a more meaningful
> name than "Beta 1".

At this point, it is an _alpha_. Beta releases are for April. :)

"Mageia, factory alpha 1" would be a short name (it's already long
enough like that) that would remind the next recommandations: it is
the first alpha ISO to be released out of our build-system and as
such, well... a factory barely releases its first prototype to have it
considered other than a self-testing item. So, don't expect... yada
yada.

If people can't understand that, well, really, fine. At some point,
we're not going to twist words because we can't assume to educate
people about how a technical product building process works (and
that's one of the goals of the project).

So further than the name, it's the discourse accompanying the release
that will matter at least as much, if not more, as the released
product itself.

So far, it looks like the regular updates, technical and
non-technical, on the blog, have been wonderfully received. So it's a
good sign to use this too.

Romain