[Mageia-marketing] Communication about the alpha and the ISO 0 release

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 9 11:47:33 CET 2011

2011/2/9 Romain d'Alverny <rdalverny at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 01:00, Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> 2011/2/8 Marcello Anni <marcello.anni at alice.it>:
>>> yes : ) the ancient wise says "if you want a thing to be remembered, put it on
>>> its name" : ) (copyright by Marcello Anni 2011)
>
> Good point.
>
>> But I agree in one point - it may be good to find a more meaningful
>> name than "Beta 1".
>
> At this point, it is an _alpha_. Beta releases are for April. :)

Sorry, typo! :)

> "Mageia, factory alpha 1" would be a short name (it's already long
> enough like that) that would remind the next recommandations: it is
> the first alpha ISO to be released out of our build-system and as
> such, well... a factory barely releases its first prototype to have it
> considered other than a self-testing item. So, don't expect... yada
> yada.
>
> If people can't understand that, well, really, fine. At some point,
> we're not going to twist words because we can't assume to educate
> people about how a technical product building process works (and
> that's one of the goals of the project).

Agreed.

> So further than the name, it's the discourse accompanying the release
> that will matter at least as much, if not more, as the released
> product itself.

Yes, definitely.

> So far, it looks like the regular updates, technical and
> non-technical, on the blog, have been wonderfully received. So it's a
> good sign to use this too.

Yes. But of course the first visible result is something else than
reports. Lots of users are waiting and you can read such things like
"I can't wait and will migrate from Mandriva to Mageia next week!" on
a daily basis in the forums.

All we can do each time we spot such a sentence is to shout at the top
of our lungs: "DON'T!" :)

--
wobo