[Mageia-marketing] Communication about the alpha and the ISO 0 release

DjeZAeL djezael at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 19:19:16 CET 2011

Hi all!

Since several days, I have been seeing people promoting Mageia to
beginners and telling them they will be able to try Mageia within few weeks.

Someone told me that "if the packages rebuild phase has begun, that
would mean that the system is working".
I answered him that between the rebuild phase and a live version, there
is a huge step.
He asked me whether the time between the rebuild phase and the release
of a live version was about several months or several weeks.
I pasted him a part of the wiki saying:
"At this stage, DO NOT EXPECT any alpha or final ISO 0 release to be a
'general audience-ready' system."
I advised him to get informations before announcing anything publicly.

I am worried that some people will be awaiting for Mageia and will be
disappointed (about the way they could use the distribution) because
they were told that they would be able to try it quickly.

I think it would be great if someone could publish a short note about
what will be and WON'T be the alpha and the ISO 0 (as written on the
wiki) and what each kind of users (beginners, experienced users,
developers, ...) could expect about it.
The note could also include a brief schedule of the planned released and
specify that this schedule may change.

P.S.
I'm also wondering which page to believe/to recommend :
- http://www.mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=roadmap#march  << ISO 0
announced for March.
-
http://www.mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=iso_0_specifications#expected_milestones
<< ISO 0 announced for April.

Cheers :)

--
DjeZAeL / Elodie

GNU/Linux and Free Open-Source Software user