[Mageia-marketing] Communication about the alpha and the ISO 0 release

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 19:22:17 CET 2011

> On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 19:19, DjeZAeL <djezael at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am worried that some people will be awaiting for Mageia and will be
>> disappointed (about the way they could use the distribution) because they
>> were told that they would be able to try it quickly.

Ok, having discussed on IRC with DjeZAel further about this, it seems
some people advertise the release to be available (because they
believe it to be and they don't check) and to be usable for everyone
(for the same reasons of not caring enough to check what's happening).

That's life so we have to prepare & square our message to start to
talk about the release before it happens.

So here is the situation at this very time:
 * we won't release an ISO by January; we are late, although we are
really reaching the point to be able to build an ISO;
 * that we *can* build and release an ISO does not mean that it is for
everyone to use; again, this first alpha will be of no interest for
most people outside of the project.

Let's sync with founders this evening about this (or tomorrow) as to
post on -discuss, Twitter and our blog (at least) a statement about
this:
 * don't promise what you don't know about this release;
 * do not market this release outside of the project; it will be of no
interest outside of the project; it will be announced nonetheless, but
not as a general, usable release;
 * do not reclaim for download mirrors when there is not even a
release announced; be consistent;
 * please be very careful about the release message as it impacts the project.

Advice?

Cheers (and thanks DjeZAel for reporting this)

Romain