[Mageia-marketing] Installer images

loqo hoverflydesign at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 27 01:51:23 CEST 2012

On 27/03/12 02:21, nicolas vigier wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Mar 2012, Max Quarterpleen wrote:
>
>> Alright people, it's time to start the discussion on the new installer
>> images (or more accurately, continue from last week's meeting).
>> A good jumping off point would be the texts.

>> We have 5 texts, but some people mostly me) are unhappy with them. I think
>> that there should be more of an emphasis on the unique qualities of Mageia
>> rather than pointing out all of the things that we do just like any other

+1

My suggestions below. I believe these points are important!

> I would have texts about the following :
>
> - Free Software : explain that Mageia is free software and what it means
>    as new users may not know this

"Mageia is developed by a not-for-profit organisation"

(specifically don't say "non-profit" as it dilutes the meaning and
sounds like a business failure)

This aspect of Mageia is what separates it from Suse, Fedora, Ubuntu and
others. They *DO* care about profit, even if their Linux is free. It
colours their thinking and motives.

"Mageia is free in spirit - free to download, free to use, free of limits"

(try to cover libre and cost aspects of "free" without confusion)

"Mageia is made with passion by a global team"

(speaks for itself)

> - Mageia Community : explain that Mageia is built by a community, and
>    that people can join and help in different teams. List of teams and
>    short description of what they do, etc ...

"By installing Mageia ('using Mageia' on the live CD), you are ALREADY a
valuable part of the community!"

(Give users a feeling of importance)

"Here's how you can join in"

(Call to action)

Mention forums, teams, IRC, planets, Twitter, etc. here. Get traffic
coming to the community.

> - Main Mageia features : control center, number of packages, main
>    desktop environments available, etc ...

Start with a high-level view of major qualities first:

"Mageia is fast, stable, flexible, built on x years of Mandriva
expertise*, etc."

Then move onto the individual features as you've mentioned.

*Mention Mandriva sparingly. It's important to understand Mageia's
heritage but we need to build an identity beyond Mandrake/Mandriva.

Hope this helps.

loqo