[Mageia-marketing] Other ideas

Romain d'Alverny rda at mageia.org
Fri Mar 30 09:59:02 CEST 2012

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 04:51, Josh King (dotmil) <josh at linuxpunks.com> wrote:
> What I do have is some ideas I would like feedback and comments on before we
> have another mageiapeople.org fiasco.

Why do you call it a fiasco?

> 1) a newsletter [...]
> 2) A Mageia news site. [...]

To be short; these are good ideas;

 * on the _content_:
   - we considered (and started) interviews on the blog, several
months ago (see https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Marketing_interviews ) but
it didn't live through, but it's still free to pick up by someone to
relist people to interview and actually do/write/review/publish these
on the blog.
   - howtos: you should ping documentation team, as they may have
ideas and articles already ready for that kind of thing.
   - there used to be summaries of what happened on the mailing-lists,
in the Mandriva era (IIRC, awilliamson, ofaurax's "jus de cuisson" and
many other contributors). Not sure about now.

 * on the _format_:
   - I'd skip the mail newsletter format; it's a one-way, one-time
publication that stays in a inbox; and it's highly coupled to a list
of subscribers to maintain; a blog, a magazine, a planet, publish it
in a more interactive way, without controlled subscription, and keep
it online and referenced for years;
   - the news site: let's see what we can do with a Planet platform to
render blogs like that first; if that's not concluding an experience,
and if you can find the right platform and people to set it up and
maintain it as a news site, then why not.