[Mageia-marketing] Web site, a few updates pending, open for comments

Romain d'Alverny rda at mageia.org
Mon May 14 17:38:08 CEST 2012

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 6:00 AM, Patricia Fraser <trish at thefrasers.org> wrote:
>>  a. (related to below) a new global top navbar, that's consistent
>> across all mageia.org; a preview is available here:
>> http://www.mageia.org/en/about/?testnav=1 [...]
>
> I like this much better than the current front page. The only thing I´d
> add is a Blog link on the Navbar, that takes you to the blog page, and
> some additional text up near the top to take visitors to the downloads
> page to get the current release.

Hmmm how would integrate that? the blog/news sub-section is in the
About and the Community sections.

> I like the site map being linked to the logo on the navbar - what about
> some alt text on the logo so mouseover tells you that´s where it will
> go?

Right. Fixed, will be in the next update.

>>  b. (related to above) a more obvious site map, a preview is available
>> here: http://www.mageia.org/fr/map/?testnav=1 ; [...]
>
> I´d like to look at this in the next 24 hours, and come back to you
> with more ideas.

Feel free! :-p

>>  c. as introduced above, a new Community section with its own home
>> page (mageia.org/community or shorthand mageia.org/coop or ?) [...]
>
> Do you have anything made up here, or do you want input?

Just this ... sort of a draft, not ready at all:
http://www.mageia.org/en/community/. I'm dry here for now.

>>  d. change how people get to mageia.org:
>>    1. the home page of www.mageia.org will focus and provide a single
>> major call to action: get Mageia; with a few, lower contrast other
>> actions (more info, contribute). Preview here:
>> http://i.imgur.com/nDlwK.png [...]
>
> You might add a link to the main site, in that list along the bottom,
> or maybe to the site map.

Right.

> What we in the marcom team need most is for you to tell us what you
> need us to write - it would be very good to know that ASAP, because
> anything we write should be passed to the i18n team by Wednesday next,
> so they can translate in time for release.

For now, unless I remove those:
 - make sure the very home page texts are ok;
 - two pages, one for presenting Mageia 2 (and, in general, all
versions) benefits for desktops, and one for benefits for servers;
along the models of http://www.mageia.org/en/1/for-you/ but even
better, of http://www.mandriva.com/en/linux/features/
 - post-download 2 calls to action: how to install/use Mageia + how to
help/contribute
 - the support section/pages will need a rewrite, but that's something else;
 - whatever you feel need to be added.

Romain