[Mageia-marketing] Web site, a few updates pending, open for comments

Patricia Fraser trish at thefrasers.org
Tue May 15 00:40:10 CEST 2012

Hi,

> >>  a. (related to below) a new global top navbar, that's consistent
> >> across all mageia.org; a preview is available here:
> >> http://www.mageia.org/en/about/?testnav=1 [...]
> >
> > I like this much better than the current front page. The only thing
> > I´d add is a Blog link on the Navbar, that takes you to the blog
> > page, and some additional text up near the top to take visitors to
> > the downloads page to get the current release.
>
> Hmmm how would integrate that? the blog/news sub-section is in the
> About and the Community sections.

Now that I look at it again, I don't think I'd add the additional text
- the downloads button is enough, if we're using the new front page.

If we could have alt texts to the navbar buttons, it would reduce the
need for an extra news or blog button - maybe take the list of links
from the sitemap, so for Community, you'd have an alt text saying Blog,
Planet, Calendar, Mail lists... and so on. WDYT?

> > I like the site map being linked to the logo on the navbar - what
> > about some alt text on the logo so mouseover tells you that´s where
> > it will go?
>
> Right. Fixed, will be in the next update.

Neat, looks good.

> >>  b. (related to above) a more obvious site map, a preview is
> >> available here: http://www.mageia.org/fr/map/?testnav=1 ; [...]
> >
> > I´d like to look at this in the next 24 hours, and come back to you
> > with more ideas.
>
> Feel free! :-p

Overall I like it a lot!

There are 2 Mailing List items in the Community section of the sitemap.
Is there a way (maybe not just now, but at some stage) to integrate the
mailing list info into a single page so there's a single link?

About You needs some more explanation; the Mageia Identity Management
page doesn't explain what it's about, so that needs a front page with
explanations, and then a link from there to MIM. Maybe it all belongs
under Contribute?

> >>  c. as introduced above, a new Community section with its own home
> >> page (mageia.org/community or shorthand mageia.org/coop or ?) [...]
> >
> > Do you have anything made up here, or do you want input?
>
> Just this ... sort of a draft, not ready at all:
> http://www.mageia.org/en/community/. I'm dry here for now.

So, this is the place where Oliver's brain-child will be accessible,
yes? Link to the wiki page for communities, info about who to contact,
any applicable forums...?

> For now, unless I remove those:
>  - make sure the very home page texts are ok;

Navbar page looks fine; so does the text on the image for the start
page.

>  - two pages, one for presenting Mageia 2 (and, in general, all
> versions) benefits for desktops, and one for benefits for servers;
> along the models of http://www.mageia.org/en/1/for-you/ but even
> better, of http://www.mandriva.com/en/linux/features/

Ok, it's on the list.

>  - post-download 2 calls to action: how to install/use Mageia + how to
> help/contribute
>  - the support section/pages will need a rewrite, but that's
> something else;
>  - whatever you feel need to be added.

We'll look at these once the release texts are done.

Cheers!

--
Trish Fraser, VVMZ4 91L2V
-35.67896, 142.66637