[Mageia-sysadm] svn layout

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Tue Nov 16 00:16:04 CET 2010

Hi,

while working on a better svn puppet module, I realized ( yeah, I
realized lots of thing lately ), that we are currently reusing the
scheme of mandriva of having 4/5 svn repository without clear
distinction between them and projects.

This caused some issue in the past :
- messy layout. Some directory also hold projects ( theme, rpm,
buildsystem, among others ), and most don't. So finding some project is
a little bit surprising ( like finding mdvsys ).

- this make backup and restoration a little bit more difficult. If there
is a db corruption, then all developers are impacted.

- there is some push in the community for git ( see
https://www.mageia.org/pipermail/mageia-webteam/2010-November/000018.html for example ). Separate svn will ease the migration effort if needed.

  - once we migrate, we can block the whole svn that was migrated more
easily ( like, removing blocking it as readonly, add a message , and
later simply remove it ).

  - the old svn will no longer be in the backup

- I also think it would be wise to have this split, as this would allow
us more freedom when we will discuss of the forge ( ie, I think that
hosting our own project like mdvsys would be perfect for the forge )

So I propose that we start to use 1 svn per software project, instead of
keeping the current structure.

This would allow us to start more slowly on the import process and on
the cleaning of older projects or not needed project ( like Fibric,
aviator or krozat, or the various mancoosi project that we will maybe
not use nor work on it  ).

Nanar provided some others opinions during tonight meeting on
http://meetbot.mageia.org/mageia-meeting/2010/mageia-meeting.2010-11-15-19.36.log.html#l-482 ( scroll up to see ).