[Mageia-sysadm] planning for sysadmin task

Olivier Thauvin nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org
Sun Oct 24 12:58:26 CEST 2010

* Michael Scherer (misc at zarb.org) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> so now the server are in place, we have to install them. Here is a
> proposal of the needed services :

> Then we need to deploy the basic infrastructure for us. Again, I assume
> that no one is against apache :
> - ldap ( valstar or alamut ? )
> - apache
> - buchan application

May I suggest to setup all our web on same server, especially since a
lot use perl-Catalyst (buchan's one, epoll and the one I did to manage
mirror).

May I also suggest all our web be installed using RPM ?
Notice I got some issue using catalyst in fcgi mod, but it works fine in
server mode + apache as proxy.

> - create account for us.

Yup, especially if we have to work on them :)

> Then we have to take care of installing the first web applications, and
> that requires a db :
> - postgresql ( alamut )
> - epoll ( alamut )
+ MGA::Mirror, the tools currently on distrib-coffee to manage mirrors.

I want to migrate it ASAP because http on distrib-coffee is not reliable
due to load made by some distributions.

Can I take this part since I know pgsql and I'll need them myself.

BTW: I hope pgsql can have a dedicated fs, it can help to avoid out of
space.

> then the rest is less prioritary :
> - postfix ( alamut )
> - migrate to sympa ( alamut )
> - enter everybody in the ldap
> - nagios/munin ( or similar ) ( alamut )
> - migrate blogs
> - migrate wiki
> - nanar application for mirror

Once pgsql + catalyst is installed, this part is easy to do. Notice it
need a MTA to work, only to send mail.

MY 2 cents.