[Mageia-sysadm] planning for sysadmin task

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Sun Oct 24 13:24:42 CEST 2010

Le dimanche 24 octobre 2010 à 12:58 +0200, Olivier Thauvin a écrit :
> * Michael Scherer (misc at zarb.org) wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > so now the server are in place, we have to install them. Here is a
> > proposal of the needed services :
>
> > Then we need to deploy the basic infrastructure for us. Again, I assume
> > that no one is against apache :
> > - ldap ( valstar or alamut ? )
> > - apache
> > - buchan application
>
> May I suggest to setup all our web on same server, especially since a
> lot use perl-Catalyst (buchan's one, epoll and the one I did to manage
> mirror).

That's planned, except for specific reasons.

> May I also suggest all our web be installed using RPM ?

That's also what I would love to see. Question is now, should this rpm
be sent to upstream distro, be made on the server, or offered as a
separate repository ?

> > Then we have to take care of installing the first web applications, and
> > that requires a db :
> > - postgresql ( alamut )
> > - epoll ( alamut )
> + MGA::Mirror, the tools currently on distrib-coffee to manage mirrors.

I would have have thought it was less urgent at the moment ( ie, it goes
to etc ). But if people do the work, that's ok, I cannot force people to
no do it ( except Olivier as I have his stuffed rabbit in hostage, or
maybe that's the reverse ).

> I want to migrate it ASAP because http on distrib-coffee is not reliable
> due to load made by some distributions.
>
> Can I take this part since I know pgsql and I'll need them myself.

Yup.

> BTW: I hope pgsql can have a dedicated fs, it can help to avoid out of
> space.

We have setup lvm, iirc.

[root at alamut ~]# vgs
  VG      #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize   VFree
  vg_main   1   0   0 wz--n- 917,45g 917,45g

> > then the rest is less prioritary :
> > - postfix ( alamut )
> > - migrate to sympa ( alamut )
> > - enter everybody in the ldap
> > - nagios/munin ( or similar ) ( alamut )
> > - migrate blogs
> > - migrate wiki
> > - nanar application for mirror
>
> Once pgsql + catalyst is installed, this part is easy to do. Notice it
> need a MTA to work, only to send mail.

I guess MTA to send mail should be part of the default installation,
yes.