[Mageia-sysadm] planning for sysadmin task

Colin Guthrie cguthrie at mandriva.org
Tue Oct 26 14:51:41 CEST 2010

'Twas brillig, and Romain d'Alverny at 26/10/10 13:43 did gyre and gimble:
> So svn/git/rsync (or such tools) will be used. RPM is not really a
> practicable option here, but maybe for very specific apps that will
> not be retouched at all.

Yeah, I definitely agree here. I think using certain
components/dependencies of webapps from RPMs is OK (I'm guessing a lot
of the perl stuff, Zend Framework, pear etc.), but I never use the
webapps themselves from RPM packages.

Running test upgrades and sandboxes etc. is nigh on impossible via an
RPM route and sometimes massive incompatibilities can result (e.g.
upgrading from Joomla 1.0.x to 1.5.x will break your site completely
unless you prepare it specifically beforehand!)

So I'd certainly be in favour of using git or svn (preferably the former).

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
cguthrie(at)mandriva.org