[Mageia-sysadm] planning for sysadmin task

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Tue Oct 26 15:23:53 CEST 2010

Le mardi 26 octobre 2010 à 14:35 +0200, nicolas vigier a écrit :
> On Sun, 24 Oct 2010, Olivier Thauvin wrote:
>

> > May I also suggest all our web be installed using RPM ?
>
> I am not sure RPM is the best tool to manage web applications in our
> case, especially for the ones that change often :
>  - it requires root permissions to be updated (or giving sudo access to
>    update the rpm, but this is equivalent to giving root access), and we
>    probably want the web team to be able to update some web applications
>    by themself.

Well, that's a question of giving permissions, not using rpm or not.

And that's a question that I think I have already asked on irc when we
devised the team, what is the role of the web team exactly regarding our
servers and the software and how do we articulate with them.

Ie, who is in charge of the following :
- setup of web application
  - apache side
  - filesystem side
  - database side

- setup of infrastructure ( ie apache module)

- who is in charge of securing
  - the servers
  - each applications

- who is in charge of backuping
  - the server
  - the applications

Is everything taken care of the sysadm team, in which case no permission
should be given to webteam, or some part of this are ( beware, because
some part are dependent, ie people who setup a application take care of
the security and of bugfixing it ), and so will the sysadm team act like
a shared server provider toward various member of the community ?

And if we choose the path of a shared server provider, shall the web
team alone be able to have a web site, or should we open the possibility
to others team to do so ? ( ie, if the designers want to setup a custom
webapp, who shall take care of that ? )