[Mageia-sysadm] [LONG] new server to name and password handling

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Wed Jan 5 18:04:21 CET 2011

Le mardi 04 janvier 2011 à 17:31 +0100, Raphaël Gertz a écrit :
> Le mardi 04 janvier 2011 16:45:53, Luca Berra a écrit :
> > On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 02:00:40AM +0100, Michael Scherer wrote:
> > >Online.net, thanks to Raphael Gertz efforts. The specs ( in french, I
> > >can translate if Babelfish is not enough ) are here :
> > >http://www.online.net/serveur-dedie/offre-dedibox-pro.xhtml
> Server will be upgraded tonight (powered off few minutes) with 16GB ram + idrac
> entreprise card. (it was planed to be done around 22-23h pm today)

Thanks.

So the idrac card also requires a password :)

> The processor support hw virtualisation if you want with 8 physical core.

Yup, but at this stage, we do not requires any server, but that could
indeed help.

> > >Why raid 0 ( or 1+0 ) ? The server main use will be iso creation ( for
> >
> > the dell R210 in the specs only has space for two SATA drives (uning the
> > integrated Perc Raid Controller)
> > so it will probably be configurd as a HW mirror, and that's it.
>
> It is configured ad RAID1 by default, you see only one big hard disk.

of 2 To ?

> You have 2 way to achive what you want :
> - setup with web access a mdv2010.1 without lvm on the hw card
> - re-setup completely the raid from bios, then install with a live-cd through
> network using the kvm+virtual media. (you need to do a dummy install first +
> wait tomorow for that)

Well, setting what we want is less a issue that knowing what we want
first..

If we can have raid 0+1 on hardware, that would be the best I guess.

> > So we need to :
> > - define the list of login/password/url to store there. On top of my
> > head, I would say :
> >   - web interface for online.net ( anne and I )
> >   - impi interface password ( not set yet )
> Ipmi isn't accessible publicly (reboot feature and virtual kvm is avaible in
> online web interface).

Oki, so one less to manage, but still the other to do :)

> >   - bios password, if any, ( I think we didn't set them )
> Plz don't set bios password.

I am speaking of the server at LO datacenter

> > - dns domain at gandi.net, ( romain should have it )
> If you transfer it on online account i can flag the domain(s) as gift (plz just
> wait wednesday for the xfer).

How would that solve the issue of keeping the password ?
( I see this could save us 12 euros per year, but that's enough to pay
us 1/3 beer per sysadm in Paris, that's not much )