[Mageia-sysadm] [RPM] cauldron core/release tagtool-0.12.3-2.mga1

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 3 13:27:56 CET 2011

2011/3/3 Romain d'Alverny <rdalverny at gmail.com>:

> But please accept that I don't see this as a move that fosters public
> (and in-project) trust and matches my expectations from people joining
> the project. It's not only about you and me, it's about the people out
> there that could be interested in joining any of us because of our
> involvement in the project.
>
> It's not a matter of tools only. It's too a matter of being openly
> confident in what we do, and show it. Whatever happens, we're proud of
> what Mageia is and what we do there all together.

Agreed 100%

> On the practical side, that's the same with a website: putting a
> contact form instead of an email address contact for the sake of
> avoiding spam or "funneling" the message is moot, if not suspect (and
> same with those companies that can't put their team people names in
> the "About Us" page, but just some pointless speech about what they
> do).

Let me also see this from a very practical point of view after some
years of experience in internet communication:

1. When you put up a website, in Germany you have to publish an
imprint, giving at least the full name and contact info of the
responsible person. I have such an imprint page on mandrivauser.de,
showing my full name and address.

2. I have been giving my full name in almost all mails I have been
sending for years.

3. I have been giving my full name in all places it was asked for.

4. The only exception I ever made was in special newsgroups with
private and intimate topics.

What did I receive from all this?

I did not get any more spam (neither via email nor via snail mail)
than I am already getting from the usual sources. I never received any
attention from people who would be interested to exploit my name.

Using my full name is also a statement that I stand for what I am
saying and doing and that I do not fear to be identified with what I
say and do.

As for the users who may mail a packager:
This is very rarely the case. Most users discuss their problems in
forums. In such rare cases where forums can not help the usual advice
given is to open a bug report. I can remember only a handful of cases
in our forum where the user was advised to contact the packager
directly. But that was with a reason.

I do not see the danger "to be flooded with user's mails" at all.

BTW: AFAIK it is planned to have at least a @mageia.org mail alias for
all official packagers to make "mageia" visible to external users of
such packages

--
wobo