[Mageia-sysadm] [RPM] cauldron core/release tagtool-0.12.3-2.mga1

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 14:39:42 CET 2011

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 14:27, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:
> Le jeudi 03 mars 2011 à 11:07 +0100, Romain d'Alverny a écrit :
>
>> Giving your name is not a loss of privacy. Giving an email address
>> contact is not a loss of privacy.
>
> It depend to who you give it. And given
> http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/privacy , I think it can be
> qualified to be, yes.

It's a matter of anonymity then. That's not the same.

> So while some people do not see problem with this, some others do, and
> we should listen to their wishes. After a quick check, there is around
> 10 people out of 250 in the directory with obviously fake names ( cause
> I think no one is called "palm pre" ).

Of course. And it's not to be black/white. There will be pseudonyms
and fake names. What matters is the trust one gets with these. And
requiring having no email contact and no real name shown when
committing something, at the same time, looks misinformed at best or
suspicious at worst.

> Some people may have very good reasons to not wanting to give their real
> name or email address.

Of course. The point here is to provide:
 - a working, public email address contact, that gets answered to;
 - a public name that people can be confident it does identify the
person. And using real names (or looking-like real names) helps a lot
people to behave more politely than with just nicknames).

> So yes, giving your name can be seen as a loss of privacy. And I think
> the priority should be to finish the privacy policy document.

That's part of it yes.

Romain