[Mageia-sysadm] [forums-discuss] Re: updating sysadmin privileges in forum config

Maarten Vanraes alien at rmail.be
Sun Mar 25 16:50:39 CEST 2012

Op zondag 25 maart 2012 08:24:31 schreef Wolfgang Bornath:
> 2012/3/24 Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org>:
[...]

I do agree with misc that software used by mageia shouldn't be different from
what we package.

I also agree that having nice plugins is alot better than patching code, this
makes for a nice and stable and tested upgrade path.

i'm not against phpBB or php in general, i kinda like php, it has it's good
points.

but nothing prevents people to implement a proper and documented API, in any
reasonable language.

take for example squirrelmail. it has alot of plugins and they don't require
patching (except, some do, and that goes to show that the API could have been
better)

another example is drupal, etc...

of course, i can understand it if no sysadmin wants to keep a patched software
up2date where mageia doesn't have a package...

if there had been a package, a packager could have been doing upgrades instead
of only a sysadmin. and a sysadmin would've happily done the upgrade of a
well-tested application.