[Mageia-sysadm] [forums-discuss] Re: updating sysadmin privileges in forum config

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 25 17:49:27 CEST 2012

2012/3/25 Maarten Vanraes <alien at rmail.be>:
> Op zondag 25 maart 2012 08:24:31 schreef Wolfgang Bornath:
>> 2012/3/24 Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org>:
> [...]
>
> I do agree with misc that software used by mageia shouldn't be different from
> what we package.
>
> I also agree that having nice plugins is alot better than patching code, this
> makes for a nice and stable and tested upgrade path.
>
> i'm not against phpBB or php in general, i kinda like php, it has it's good
> points.
>
> but nothing prevents people to implement a proper and documented API, in any
> reasonable language.
>
> take for example squirrelmail. it has alot of plugins and they don't require
> patching (except, some do, and that goes to show that the API could have been
> better)
>
> another example is drupal, etc...
>

> of course, i can understand it if no sysadmin wants to keep a patched software
> up2date where mageia doesn't have a package...
>
> if there had been a package, a packager could have been doing upgrades instead
> of only a sysadmin. and a sysadmin would've happily done the upgrade of a
> well-tested application.

But there were no Mageia packages available nor were they installed. I
don't know why this was not discussed before forums were implemented
(or was it?) but that's not the issue now. As I understand the current
situation there are only 2 options:
 - pack a package, remove the installed system and install the package
(including language packages) and transfer the databases or
 - go on with the current system and find a better workflow to react
to upstream updates and customizing requests.

--
wobo