[Mageia-sysadm] is the svn server down?

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Sat Mar 31 15:12:18 CEST 2012

Le samedi 31 mars 2012 à 12:51 +0200, nicolas vigier a écrit :
> On Sat, 31 Mar 2012, Michael Scherer wrote:
>

> > For the record, I see that 212.85.158.145 ( alamut default gateway,
> > whose reverse is gateway-mageia.ielo.net ) is not answering to ping and
> > on the other hand, the default gateway for zarb.org ( 212.85.158.1 )
> > answer to ping.
> >
> > And I am pretty sure that this gateway is after our switch from a
> > network point of view, and so that this should answer fine if our switch
> > is unplugged.
> >
> > So I suppose that this device ( 158.45 ) do send network
> > topology/routing with OSPF or RIP etc, and for some reason, it no longer
> > announce the route for our network.
> >
> > It could be caused by our switch being broken, but that would be rather
> > strange, as I do not know any network equipment that would act like this
> > ( doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, but usually, network is not that
> > smart ).
>
> According to gradator, this is normal if the switch is down. When the
> port is down, OSPF automatically clear the route.

But what about the default gateway ? IIRC, that's not our switch ( as
this is just a layer 2 switch ), so did it disappear on purpose once the
network disappeared too ?

> > So what did IELO said exactly ?
>
> The port where our switch is connected is down.

> But even if the swich is not the problem, it would be a good idea to
> replace it for a bigger one, to allow us to connect the arm boards on
> it (instead of connecting them behind valstar). We also need to replace
> one of the disk on the arm boards which seems to be not working.

Connecting them behind valstar was also to protect them until we
properly secured them, since the password is still weak and easy to
attack from bruteforce. And AFAIK, we didn't plan to give direct access
to people, so that was useless and I think moving to a bastion model for
ssh access would be a improvement in term of security for others
builders too ( jonund, ecosse, and maybe fiona, depending how the backup
are done ).

Also, just replacing the switch is not a improvement, since we will have
the same issue if this switch break ( unlikely, but so was the current
breakage, or the various hardware issues we faced each time we got there
) so what about trying to have a more redundant setup ?

Most, if not all, of our servers have 2 ethernet interface, so we could
try to see if bonding could help ( in case of ethernet card failure ) or
see if we can find a setup with 2 switchs ( one that doesn't cost too
much, cause of course, cisco can solve the issue for us, we just cannot
afford it ).

Can we afford one or two switchs that support it ? ( I lost the name of
the current flavor du jour in term of bonding )