[Mageia-sysadm] Valstar upgrades

Thomas Backlund tmb at mageia.org
Tue Oct 30 16:08:37 CET 2012

30.10.2012 15:01, Damien Lallement skrev:
> Le 23/10/2012 09:57, Thomas Backlund a écrit :
>> Pascal Terjan skrev 23.10.2012 01:23:
>>> [...]
>>
>> I think we also need to add more disks on valstar asap,
>> so we can distribute i/o better on it.
>>
>> We discussed with boklm some weeks ago to add:
>>
>> 2 2TB disks in raid1 and move /distrib tree on them.
>> - this will move the heavy rsyncs on separate
>>    i/o from svn & bin repo (current distrib tree
>>    is 886G, of wich some will be needed when adding
>>    more space to /svn and /binrepo)
>> - this will have to be done anyway when we fork mga3
>>    tree at the latest, as we are running out of free
>>    space on the lvm
>>
>> 1 240GB SSD to stick /var/lib/schedbot and
>>    /tmp on.
>> - theese are heavy on i/o for queue management,
>>    and rpmlint / rpm unpacking ...
>>
>> This way valstar will behave better even
>> on more busy days.
>>

>> Comments ?
>
> Looks good for me too.
>
> Pricing from France (to ship to Marseille):
> - 2 x 2TB WD RE4 64Mo (WD2003FYYS) = 2 x 195€ = 390€
> - 1 x 256GB SSD Crucial M4 (SSDSC2BW180A3L) = 199€

Hm, that serial matches an Intel 520  180GB SSD.

> So, with shipment: 597€ (tax included)
>
> I checked, there is available ports:
> [root at valstar ~]# dmidecode | grep -i sata
>      Internal Reference Designator: SATA PORT0
>      Internal Reference Designator: SATA PORT1
>      Internal Reference Designator: SATA PORT2
>      Internal Reference Designator: SATA PORT3
>      Internal Reference Designator: SATA PORT4
>      Internal Reference Designator: SATA PORT5

Yep, and boklm told that there was physical space for 8 disks on that
server, so that is ok too... I guess we need a 2.5 -> 3.5 adapter for
the ssd (unless it already comes with the extra mounting plate)

> [root at valstar ~]#
> For now, we just use 0 and 1.
> I just hope that [2-5] are not broken like on old ecosse.

Hm, was valstar also a pre-production hw ?

--
Thomas