[Mageia-sysadm] Valstar upgrades

Damien Lallement mageia at damsweb.net
Tue Oct 30 16:42:45 CET 2012

Le 30/10/2012 16:08, Thomas Backlund a écrit :
> 30.10.2012 15:01, Damien Lallement skrev:
>>>
>>> I think we also need to add more disks on valstar asap,
>>> so we can distribute i/o better on it.
>>>
>>> We discussed with boklm some weeks ago to add:
>>>
>>> 2 2TB disks in raid1 and move /distrib tree on them.
>>> - this will move the heavy rsyncs on separate
>>>    i/o from svn & bin repo (current distrib tree
>>>    is 886G, of wich some will be needed when adding
>>>    more space to /svn and /binrepo)
>>> - this will have to be done anyway when we fork mga3
>>>    tree at the latest, as we are running out of free
>>>    space on the lvm
>>>
>>> 1 240GB SSD to stick /var/lib/schedbot and
>>>    /tmp on.
>>> - theese are heavy on i/o for queue management,
>>>    and rpmlint / rpm unpacking ...
>>>
>>> This way valstar will behave better even
>>> on more busy days.
>>>

>>> Comments ?
>>
>> Looks good for me too.
>>
>> Pricing from France (to ship to Marseille):
>> - 2 x 2TB WD RE4 64Mo (WD2003FYYS) = 2 x 195€ = 390€
>> - 1 x 256GB SSD Crucial M4 (SSDSC2BW180A3L) = 199€
>
> Hm, that serial matches an Intel 520  180GB SSD.

Oops, I swear that I'm not drunk!
It's CT256M4SSD2

>> So, with shipment: 597€ (tax included)
>>
>> I checked, there is available ports:
>> [root at valstar ~]# dmidecode | grep -i sata
>>      Internal Reference Designator: SATA PORT0
>>      Internal Reference Designator: SATA PORT1
>>      Internal Reference Designator: SATA PORT2
>>      Internal Reference Designator: SATA PORT3
>>      Internal Reference Designator: SATA PORT4
>>      Internal Reference Designator: SATA PORT5
>

> Yep, and boklm told that there was physical space for 8 disks on that
> server, so that is ok too... I guess we need a 2.5 -> 3.5 adapter for
> the ssd (unless it already comes with the extra mounting plate)

8 bays but careful, only 6 ports on the Motherboard:
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/qpi/5500/x8dtn_.cfm?ipmi=n
For the bracket, it's included yes (but we won't use it).

>> [root at valstar ~]#
>> For now, we just use 0 and 1.
>> I just hope that [2-5] are not broken like on old ecosse.
>

> Hm, was valstar also a pre-production hw ?

Yes, valstar is the same HW than jonund.
Both are pre-production Supermicro HW.
--
Damien Lallement
twitter: damsweb - IRC: damsweb/coincoin