[Mageia-sysadm] Valstar upgrades

Thomas Backlund tmb at mageia.org
Tue Oct 30 17:14:04 CET 2012

30.10.2012 17:42, Damien Lallement skrev:
> Le 30/10/2012 16:08, Thomas Backlund a écrit :
>> 30.10.2012 15:01, Damien Lallement skrev:

>>> Looks good for me too.
>>>
>>> Pricing from France (to ship to Marseille):
>>> - 2 x 2TB WD RE4 64Mo (WD2003FYYS) = 2 x 195€ = 390€
>>> - 1 x 256GB SSD Crucial M4 (SSDSC2BW180A3L) = 199€
>>
>> Hm, that serial matches an Intel 520  180GB SSD.
>
> Oops, I swear that I'm not drunk!
> It's CT256M4SSD2

Ah, yes, so it's the same we already use on jonund and ecosse,

>>> So, with shipment: 597€ (tax included)
>>>
>>> I checked, there is available ports:
>>> [root at valstar ~]# dmidecode | grep -i sata
>>>      Internal Reference Designator: SATA PORT0
>>>      Internal Reference Designator: SATA PORT1
>>>      Internal Reference Designator: SATA PORT2
>>>      Internal Reference Designator: SATA PORT3
>>>      Internal Reference Designator: SATA PORT4
>>>      Internal Reference Designator: SATA PORT5
>>

>> Yep, and boklm told that there was physical space for 8 disks on that
>> server, so that is ok too... I guess we need a 2.5 -> 3.5 adapter for
>> the ssd (unless it already comes with the extra mounting plate)
>
> 8 bays but careful, only 6 ports on the Motherboard:
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/qpi/5500/x8dtn_.cfm?ipmi=n
> For the bracket, it's included yes (but we won't use it).

Yeah, I just meant that the physical space is available to
match available ports on m/b

>>> [root at valstar ~]#
>>> For now, we just use 0 and 1.
>>> I just hope that [2-5] are not broken like on old ecosse.
>>

>> Hm, was valstar also a pre-production hw ?
>
> Yes, valstar is the same HW than jonund.
> Both are pre-production Supermicro HW.

Well, it has been working good so far, and
we know atleast 3 ports works as we had 3 disks
temporarily on it before too...
So hopefully the rest will be ok too.

--

Thomas