[Mageia-webteam] Insert mageiaitalia.org among community forums

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 28 15:57:58 CEST 2011

2011/6/28 Matteo Pasotti <pasotti.matteo at gmail.com>:
> Il 26/06/11 16.39, Wolfgang Bornath ha scritto:
>>
>> 2011/6/26 Marcello Anni<marcello.anni at alice.it>:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> could you add mageiaitalia.org among the italian community forums that
>>> provide
>>> support for mageia? thanks
>>
>> At the same time pls remove the german mandrivauser.de forum, now the
>> German Mageia forum is in place.
>>
>> Thx
>>
> I think it would be great having a forum on mageia.org platform for italian
> users, too (I don't know the availability).
> That way we give to the users a greater feeling of community and at the same
> time we don't have to ask for some kind of "official certification" for
> other resources that can continue to exist anyway.
> But that's my opinion, as I can see even french users have they own forum
> platform (maybe I'm missing some information written into previous emails).

You have to evaluate this carefully. There are benefits and
disadvantages on both sides.

On one side is the benefit of being "inside" the Mageia family. Users
access is done by LDAP. You (as admin) do not have to care for updates
or maintenance of the forum software, etc.

On the other side is the need of a tight structure of the Mageia forum
software management, you can't just up and change a code line for the
sake of convenience or add your flavor of smilies on request of your
users or add some MODs you are used to have, as you would do with a
standalone forum - this has to be decided and done by the sysadmins /
forum admins. In short: you are not free to do as you like, you depend
on the decisions and the workflow of others because your forum is a
part of a larger system.
--
wobo