[Mageia-webteam] Questions about the forum

Maât maat-ml at vilarem.net
Wed Mar 23 07:46:24 CET 2011

Le 23/03/2011 03:32, Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :
> 2011/3/23 Maât <maat-ml at vilarem.net>:
>>> 3. Moderators, announcements
>>> People have registered their name in the wiki, so IMHO we should
>>> acknowledge their commitment by asking them to fill vacancies (do we
>>> have any?) before we announce the forum.
>>>
>> Up to now the best way that proved to be effective to find good moderators was to pick up people that did not ask to be that and choose them for the qualities of their posts and behavior on the forum... and recruit them only if unanimously accepted by all the active moderators.
> Yes, of course. I would not have asked to be a moderator. But then I
> saw the groups and as I belong to those groups...
>
>> Other people will have extended rights (not yet completely defined) on parts of the forum depending on their activities. The goal being to enable them to rename topics, mark them [resolved], close them and edit posts but not to have them enforce the forum rules (which is the role assigned to moderators)
> Hmm, all these rights are moderator rights (closing threads, edit
> other people's posts, rename topics, move threads to other locations,
> etc. What do you have in mind, "sub-moderators"?

Yup... something like that

I want people to have a clear limit in mind between those who help and those who enforce rules

phpbb3 allows such custom profiles definition in user rights and also in moderator rights

> Another question is the structure of the forum, this is all but
> trivial - we spent quite some time on that in the German forum. And
> there will always come new suggestions about what "should be changed"
> there. :) I saw you already started a thread about this. :)

:)

> Question: I assume each language forum can have their own structure,
> right? Because some may already be used to s certain structure of
> their previous Mandriva forum and would want to have the same here.

Of course :)

On a personal point of view, i'd preach $lang forums teams to speak with each other to share good practices :)

What will be unavoidable :
-- Common LDAP link
-- we'll have to share design (well to some extent)...

What won't be required or enforced. Just nice-to-have things :
-- That would be cool if we can manage to have similar structures (to some extent here also) so that multilang users feel at home everywhere.
-- What would be (perhaps ?) interesting to share : for people jumping from a forum to another it would be (perhaps ?) cool to share data about ip banning for example. And more generally sharing data about users that bring discord or behave in a reprehensible way...