[Mageia-webteam] Questions about the forum

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 23 11:33:57 CET 2011

2011/3/23 Maât <maat-ml at vilarem.net>:

> Nope in my mind helping can be done by everyone but helping responsability should go to a dedicated team with partial moderation abilities to take care of forum cleanliness (topics titles, statuses...)

Ok, here we disagree. IMHO in a community forum there should not be
anybody you can point to and say, "why should I bother, it's his
responibility". I saw this too often in forums with such "appointed
helpers". My idea of a community forum is that everything should be in
the responsibility of the users of that forum, special rights only
given to people who are necessary to keep order and enforce rules. In
an ideal world everything is done by the users of the forum,
moderators would not have anything to do at all but to be there in
case of need.

> But enforcing rules (banning, validating, warning) should not rely on their shoulders

Banning should be the very last action, so this should be done by the
forum admin after discussion with the moderators.
Same with erasing posts/threads. This should not be done at all[1].
Erasing posts breaks transparency and continuity, makes it hard in
case of discussions to evaluate opinions given after a post/thread was
erased.

[1]  - exception for posts with spam and illegal contents (where
illegal means illegal according to French law because the owner of the
forum site is in France)

--
wobo