[Mageia-webteam] Questions about the forum

Maât maat-ml at vilarem.net
Wed Mar 23 11:47:15 CET 2011

Le 23/03/2011 11:33, Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :
> 2011/3/23 Maât <maat-ml at vilarem.net>:
>> Nope in my mind helping can be done by everyone but helping responsability should go to a dedicated team with partial moderation abilities to take care of forum cleanliness (topics titles, statuses...)
> Ok, here we disagree. IMHO in a community forum there should not be
> anybody you can point to and say, "why should I bother, it's his
> responibility". I saw this too often in forums with such "appointed
> helpers". My idea of a community forum is that everything should be in
> the responsibility of the users of that forum, special rights only
> given to people who are necessary to keep order and enforce rules. In
> an ideal world everything is done by the users of the forum,
> moderators would not have anything to do at all but to be there in
> case of need.

I agree : we disagree :)

>> But enforcing rules (banning, validating, warning) should not rely on their shoulders
> Banning should be the very last action, so this should be done by the
> forum admin after discussion with the moderators.

Global Moderators can play this role... (IINM phpBB3 default roles are thought with that organization in mind)

> Same with erasing posts/threads. This should not be done at all[1].
> Erasing posts breaks transparency and continuity, makes it hard in
> case of discussions to evaluate opinions given after a post/thread was
> erased.

Yup... that's why moderation forum is for : moving illegal topics out of the way without deleting them.

For local posts deletion i think offering later a feature of post content hiding to moderators could be a good way

> [1]  - exception for posts with spam and illegal contents (where
> illegal means illegal according to French law because the owner of the
> forum site is in France

Yup the forums are under "Mageia french association" responsability hence we must respect french law indeed :)