[Mageia-bugsquad] all the new bug squad members we are going to have

Manuel Hiebel manuel.mageia at hiebel.eu
Fri Sep 28 10:59:39 CEST 2012

Le 27/09/2012 14:34, Marja van Waes a écrit :

> Hi everyone,
Hi !
> If plans haven't changed, one of the next blogs will be about our
> leader, leuhmanu :-D
Nothing in my mailbox for now 0:)
> That might lead to a lot of new bug squad members joining us.
>
> However, until now we have *not* been very successful in keeping new
> members, nor in helping them to get started. :-(
>
> One thing that at least I did wrong: I expected that what worked for
> me, would work for them, without wondering whether they'd maybe be
> very different.
>
> What made it easier for me to get started and do a lot for bug squad
> (until I ended up in other teams) was:
>
> 1. that I liked to read the documentation
> 2. that I had Mdk + Mdv+ Mga experience
> 3. that, after initially not really having time, I was able to free up
>   16 hours a week
> 4. that the idea that everyone could see my silliest mistakes, didn't
> terrify me (that's one of the upsides of getting older ;) )
2+4 seems à require for me to not loose time for the new contrib, aka
have a little experience in the rh/mdv/mga world and do not be afraid to
make a blunder, there are enough people who read bugs@ to correct a mistake.
And of courses we are here for any question (but a response can take a
little time).

> However, a new member might dislike reading documentation (but if
> that's the case, will he like reading bug reports?), might have no
> real Mga or similar experience, might have only a few hours a week
> available and might feel very uncomfortable about everything that he
> does in Bugzilla being visible "for ever".
>
> So, instead of saying: "read our documentation, read some bugs and
> then start", we should maybe first inquire who the new person is. How
> much time can he dedicate, how well does he know Mageia or other Linux
> distro's, is he used to working with the command line, does he like to
> read?
Yep, than will help to better assist newcomers.
> Also, I know we don't have time to mentor people. However to make
> things less hard for newcomers, would it be an idea to let them start
> with doing reports about package requests or (if they have more Linux
> experience) needinfo bugs?
I don't see what we can ask for package requests (beside make them more
readable, which will take 10mins (?) )

For the needinfo bugs of courses, they could said if they reproduce,
provide more info if they can etc, it should be our jobs too, but with
our resources it's hard to do that for the most of issue.

> Or should we consider to *make* time for mentoring?
>
> WDYT?
Why not, we could start with the good practice in the bugzilla, then
each 1/2 week a new categories of bugs (installer/media/segfault
bugs/specific rpms/etc)

btw: as you have certainly see, I have less time than before, but can
try to help newcomers if possible.
(and I don't know why, with that above I have less patience for doing
something :s)