[Mageia-dev] rehashing the faac issue

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Thu Oct 4 17:52:33 CEST 2012

On 10/04/2012 11:29 AM, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
> Still the trust on a software filter is not the same as the trust in a
> visible separation. If you think there is no technical difference,
> this discussion is not just on technical of the issue. If I go into an
> empty room which is dark, everybody could tell me that the room is
> empty and I can't hurt myself by falling over some furniture - still
> I'd prefer the lights on.
You're correct, and one of the points I'm trying to make is that while
it is reasonable to technically enable FOSS enthusiasts to install a
FOSS-only system easily, it is not reasonable to make things difficult
for everyone else simply to pander to FOSS political correctness.

The same argument underlies the issue of an install process that caters
to both free and nonfree via a switch versus one that allows no nonfree
software on the install media or no nonfree repo to be considered by the
installer.  In  both cases, a FOSS enthusiast can have what he wants,
but I'm sure the enthusiast would be happier with the latter case, for
all the non-technical reasons you mention, including that it makes it
more difficult for others to do things of which he disapproves.

If there's no technical difference between two approaches, we ought to
pick the one that works best for the greatest part of the user base.