[Mageia-discuss] Mageia governance model draft

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 17:03:26 CEST 2010

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 00:38, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:
> Le lundi 04 octobre 2010 à 15:26 +0200, Romain d'Alverny a écrit :
>
>> Each team will have to decide on itself, for the next two weeks:
>>
>>  * what is in the mentoring program exactly (for instance, Packaging team
>>    has to take into account alternative packaging practices and explain
>>    why/how it is expected to work in Mageia and how it could evolve);
>
> Hu ?
> ( ie what "alternative packaging practice" ? )

Well, I guess that not all that enlisted in the packaging team are
from the Cooker packagers group.

So there are a process, documents to agree all on so that the whole
Team works well together. Process for working together (according to
set standards - here in this case, I believe we should base all this
on current Cooker practices and policies - but it's best that the Team
itself decides on its own).

Discussing it further with founding members (mentoring program, how to
apply), here are a few _important details_.

All teams discussion channels should be of public access (at least one
place to join and follow what happens).

Teams are made of at least two sub-groups (from a credentials point of view):
 * "Apprentices" (people being mentored into the team - someone
suggested "petit scarabée" as a label but...)
 * and "Masters".

Depending on Teams, there may be more than that (for instance, Web
team may have apprentice, master, webmaster or a more specific role -
vetoing what goes online for instance).

The idea is that Masters have voting power within the team (for
decisions or leader election) and full rights on the infrastructure.

Apprentices have no voice yet and less rights on infrastructure,
provided they are being mentored. It's then up to Masters to decide if
an Apprentice makes it to Master or not. That's the reality behind the
mentoring process.

Now, to start the train, we've got to figure who will be first Masters
and Apprentices. We expect everyone to be square on this and would
like to start with the following rule, provided things go smoothly
after.

We are suggesting here for packagers only, that's a specific case.
Each team should come up with its own agreement. Packaging Team
Masters are those who are Cooker maintainers as of today. Others are
Apprentices. Packaging team should focus then on build-system setup
and mentoring process. Apprentices may become masters at any time,
it's up for each team to decide.

Should there be any conflict or gray-zone, don't get upset, just tell
us and we will try to sort this out. In last resort, of course, the
founding board will decide if needed.

Oh and we ought to setup mailing-lists for each team shortly.

Note that this somewhat chaotic step is happening only to start the whole thing.

Thanks a lot for your comments and points.

Cheers,

Romain