[Mageia-discuss] Alpha 2 with VirtualBox 3.2.12

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 18:12:18 CET 2011

On 15 March 2011 18:50, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is Alpha 2 supposed to work with vbox 3.2.12? Even with the vesa driver
> selected in xorg.conf I can't go past the login screen (which in itself
> seems partly dysfunctional, e.g. there's no button to select the
> session type - Gnome, KDE etc.). I first get an invite to type my
> password to run drak3d (why?) and then it goes back to the login screen
> - presumably something crashed.
>
> I use VirtualBox for work and therefore am rather reluctant to upgrade
> to 4.x just to test Mageia ISOs - I don't want to break my current
> setup.
>
> Regards
>
> Antoine.

Two different issues...
- the drak3d issue, make sure you select a DE from the session list in
the display manager used (assuming you installed a DE, KDE4, GNOME,
LXDE) while installing Mageia

- Alpha 2 comes with vbox-4.0.4 guest-additions, this mightn't work
with a 3.x vbox host, but first of all, there're no pre-compiled
kernel modules in Mageia yet, so make sure the -devel package for the
running kernel is installed then reboot so that dkms tries to build
the vbox additions kernel modules, (you can check the status with
'dkms status' as root).

- If the modules are built and it still doesn't work, then the easy
workaround is to uninstall all the vbox package from the guest:
dkms-vboxadditions
x11-driver-input-vboxmouse
x11-driver-video-vboxvideo
virtualbox-guest-additions

then while the guest vm is running:
- select Device> "Install guest additions"
- download the iso, mount it in the vm
- switch to tty1 in the vm (by pressing the Host key + F1)
- mount the iso:
# mount -t iso9660 -o loop /media/cdrom
- Install the additions:
# cd /media/cdrom
# ./VBoxLinuxAdditions-x86.run
if you're installed the i586 edition of Mageia

OR
./VBoxLinuxAdditions-amd64.run
if you're installed the x86_64 edition of Mageia.

Hope this works...

--
Ahmad Samir