[Mageia-discuss] Easyurpmi forMageia ?

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Sun May 22 10:06:15 CEST 2011

Le dimanche 22 mai 2011 à 05:51 +0200, Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :
> I haven't used EasyUrpmi, but I used the other (similar) web tool
> SmartUrpmi regularly.
>
> My reason was not to add PLF or any other repo (MUD or other). My main
> reason was my dislike of the %MIRRORLIST system of Mandriva, you could
> get connected to a very slow mirror or even to one which was not
> uptodate without urpmi being able to switch to another mirror during
> one session (a known bug). So I used SmartUrpmi to select a mirror
> which I knew to be fast, reliable and uptodate instead of playing
> lottery with %MIRRORLIST.

There is likely stuff to improve with mirrorlist selection indeed ( I
would add AS number to it, as well as bandwidth, and push a smarter
system in urpmi one day to get nearer mirros, and add some weight based
on network related stuff ), but since everybody work around it, no one
is motivated to improve it or provides information for that. So because
people able to fix focus on not facing the problem and because there is
a know workaround, newer users face the problem.

Worst, since people focus on specific mirrors ( d-c being the prime
example ), the mirror slowly become more and more overloaded with
requests, forcing admin of using complex scheme to divide the
ressources.

> Today with Mageia this risk is not high because there are not so many
> mirrors around my residence. But I still would like to select a
> dedicated mirror (my own mirror) from such a list as provided by the
> web tool.

It can already be done.
--
Michael Scherer