[Mageia-discuss] Easyurpmi forMageia ?

Thomas Spuhler thomas at btspuhler.com
Sun May 22 19:59:40 CEST 2011

On Sunday, May 22, 2011 01:21:56 am Daniel Le Berre wrote:
> Le 22/05/2011 09:42, Luca Olivetti a écrit :
> > Al 22/05/11 05:51, En/na Wolfgang Bornath ha escrit:
> >> My reason was not to add PLF or any other repo (MUD or other). My main
> >> reason was my dislike of the %MIRRORLIST system of Mandriva, you could
> >> get connected to a very slow mirror or even to one which was not
> >> uptodate without urpmi being able to switch to another mirror during
> >> one session (a known bug).
> >
> > Same here, I *never* managed to upgrade the distribution, without
> > using easyurpmi with manual mirror selection (the upgrade tool just
> > removed the existing sources and always failed to add new ones).
> >
> > Bye
>
> I used easyurpmi for a while, mainly to add PLF sources, or to specify a
> specific mirror when there was some mirroring problems in MDV (hdlist
> not synced with repository content for instance).
>
> As noted previously, the PLF issue does not hold for MGA.
>
> It is probably worth improving the way the current media manager is
> working than add yet another tool to the distrib.
>
> We could have for instance checkboxes when importing media sources with:
>
> - select mirror: by default let the media manager find a mirror for you,
> else select one in a list
> - include tainted: by default disable access to tainted repository. Warn
> the user about the content of those repositories.
>
> The main point is that people often do not know about the media manager.
> Maybe a button to that tool directly in the update app would give it
> more visibility, instead of looking into it on the package manager menu.
> Or maybe it should be an app on its own.
>
> Daniel
I think this is a very valuable discussion and a need for it showing by the
number of posts.

people often do not know about the media manager:
I was one of 'em. Where is it? In Mageia, Control Cender, Configure media, I
didn't know a way to add a medium by hand. If I click on the add button I can
add either an <update sources only>  and/or a <full set of sources> and what
it does, it adds a $mirrorlist as source, I do not know or have control where
those are. I have to go to -> file and then yes, I get a list. This is not very
obvious since there is an <add> button.

So instead I used easyurpmi old interface (which shows a lot of errors) and
then copied and paste the command into a konsole.

Maybe by adding the options to show when clicking on the add button would
provide a good option, but I think it is is too late for Mageia 1

--
Thomas