[Mageia-i18n] Workflow for i18n translators

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 17 16:16:11 CET 2010

Hi all,

as proposed during the last i18n team meeting we need to summarize the
various workflows of i18n contributors to be reported to
sysadmin-Team. The aim of this mail discussion is to provide sysadmin
team with 2 or 3 scenarios for the workflow (online and offline).

First we have to keep in mind that at least one translator of each
language has to have commit permission. But in larger groups it may be
better to have not more than 2 or 3 translators with commit
permission, this enforces collaboration. :)

I will start from my personal (though not very large) experience with
Mandriva po translating, give a rough overview of the options for
mageia and then would like your comments, ideas, corrections, etc..

In Mandriva we used to checkout svn (anonymous or with key), worked on
the po file with whatever tool we preferred and then
 - committed back (if permitted)
 - or presented the file to a local team for proofreading and then to
be committed (the best way)
 - or sent the po file to somebody with commit access to be committed

The good part was: you could work with whatever tool you preferred,
you could work wherever you wanted without the need of a net
connection during work.
The bad part was: the risk of conflicts when 2 or more were working on
the same file, nobody knew what others were doing at the same time.

Now we have several possible scenarios.

1. Using Transifex online and offline
Given the fact that transifex is able to use the svn tree, you can
work online in transifex. This is collaboration of several people on
the same file until the file is translated and proofread. Only after
that it will be committed.
If you are offline you can still get the file from tranisfex,
translate it and upload to transifex again. I don't know how this
actually works with Transifex. We will know more about this after
obgr_seneca and somebody else had a look at Transifex and report back.

2. Using svn offline
This could be done the same way as described from the Mandriva times.
Mind, that we do not have to use Transifex, it is not a "must". It is
only an option but a good one, so I've heard.

3. Tools
If you are working online you can use Transifex, if you work offline
you can use any tool you want (lokalize, poedit, etc.)

Waiting for your comments

--
wobo