[Mageia-i18n] mailing lists for i18n language teams

Franklin Weng franklin at goodhorse.idv.tw
Mon Jan 10 01:33:19 CET 2011

2011/1/10 Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org>

> Le lundi 10 janvier 2011 à 08:01 +0800, Frank Weng (a.k.a. Franklin) a
> écrit :
> > Hi list,
> >
> > I guess for Taiwanese users we need to use i18n-tw at ml.mageia.  Right?
>
> It seems that would it would  be i18n-zh if you speak of
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwanese_Hokkien

In Taiwan, the official language is Traditional Chinese (zh-TW).  (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwanese_Mandarin , I think).
 Taiwanese_Hokkien is the most popular dialect here, but not for our
reading/writing system.

Also, in mainland China they use simplified Chinese (zh-CN).  So there will
be a lot of troubles if we just use i18n-zh as our mailing list name.

If Mageia decided to use language names as mailing list name instead of
using region names, we need to use

i18n-zh-tw at ml.mageia

so that we can distinguish from i18n-zh-cn and (probably) i18n-zh-hk,
i18n-zh-sg, ... etc.  You may not know that, even we both use traditional
Chinese, in many cases zh-TW and zh-HK are using different words for the
same thing.

Now, the question is "when you translate something, what is the name of
> the file that you modify", ie what .po. Or how are the lists/group
> called in other project ?

zh_TW (in KDE and Gnome)

Thanks,
Franklin