[Mageia-marketing] Some ideas submitted for discussion

Josh King josh at linuxpunks.com
Wed Mar 21 02:33:18 CET 2012

On 03/20/2012 07:10 PM, Sebastian sebsebseb wrote:
> Hi Josh
> As for adding users to the planets I agree, as long as they aren't
> posting bad stuff. With Ubuntu they have only Ubuntu Community Members
> in their planet as far as I know and no one else.

Agreed, some kind of code of conduct would have to be followed. Perhaps
this is one more reason to start it as a separate entity. Leave the
devs/official members on planet mageia and put users on planet mageia
users. In time the two could be combined if it works well. This is
something I'm willing to undertake and host myself unless there are
objections to it?

http://planet.ubuntu.com
>> I don't know that my area has enough mass for a LoCo style team though
>> :-(
> Of course you can start something for your local area or country, even
> if it just starts off as a IRC channel like I have done with #mageia-uk.
> As for how many people there are or aren't, that doesn't matter that
> much to begin with, just go for it and start something if you would like
> to :).

The IRC channel might be a good start

> There are only a few people from the UK that are interested in Mageia at
> the moment that I know about, but I expect we will start to have quite a
> few more when Mageia 2 comes out :). There are already quite a few
> people from the USA who are interested in Mageia as well that I know
> about, and quite a few of them come to my #mageia-social IRC channel.
>
> You may also have a Linux Users Group (LUG) in your area, that you can
> go to and try and gain some interest in Mageia, like I will probably be
> doing this Saturday.

Well we have a LUG technically, but it rarely meets and is usually 1-2
people at most. It might be worth revisiting to start one up again.

> This Saturday I am probably going to a pub to go to a LUG for my first
> time :). It was going to be last month, but then some issues with trying
> to get there. It turned out people were turning up at different times
> any way and not that many, so there wasn't a proper meeting.
>
> I'll go to the city to the LUG to meet some other Linux users in person
> for a first time from this area, wearing one of my black FOSDEM 2011 t
> shirts, that I bought when going to my first opensource/freesoftware
> event this year FOSDEM 2012 :). I'll also have some Gnome and KDE,
> Mageia 1 Live CD's to give out from this year's FOSDEM, and I'll bring
> some other LInux stuff with me as well.

Awesome! Good luck!!