[Mageia-sysadm] New hardware for mageia servers

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 20:19:47 CEST 2011

On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 19:24, nicolas vigier <boklm at mars-attacks.org> wrote:
>  Total: 2 261 euros
>  So total is quite expensive.

Provided the role these hardware will play, this looks still rather
cheap on the contrary. There may be alternatives but this doesn't look
that expensive.

> An other solution could be to buy a cheap
>  computer that one of us keep at home/office, doing remote backups.

That's an option too, either way (with or without the above).

>  maybe we can find someone to donate a server, so that we only need to
>  buy disks for the server. Maybe we can ask for hardware donations for
>  this server on mageia-dev and/or blog ?

We already have donations from the previous months that were, among
other things, precisely for this kind of investment.

> - server for packagers, to host VMs used to test package builds. This
>  needs to be a fast server, with a lot of RAM. Should we buy an
>  expensive server for this now ? Or wait until we have more money, or
>  someone donate a server for this ? Or rent a server at 60 euros /
>  month on online.net ?
>  http://www.online.net/serveur-dedie/offre-dedibox-pro-r210.xhtml
>
> Any comments about this ?

We should not wait but do with what we have, and tell about it, and
remind regularly where we are in our budget (what's missing, what's
needed, etc.) and how we can grow it. Once the ball is rolling, it's
easier to find people willing to help it roll even further.

Cheers,

Romain