[Mageia-webteam] checklist of web services/issues for alpha 1

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 23:56:04 CET 2011

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 22:50, Benoit Audouard <baud123 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Re,
>
> maybe definition of alpha1 may be precised, I suggest : testing the whole
> infrastructure (building, distribution, mirrors, publication of
> release_notes / errata / faq / how to become involved identifying what
> people want to do and can do... giving them proper tools and identifying
> what could be done).

Join marcom, discussion was started there about this. There's an
announce draft in preparation (on the blog for now), the message to
promote has been reminded/rediscussed several times in several places
and the download page will also underline some of these points.

Although:
 - the project FAQ is light, still;
 - the release notes are small/nonexistent at this time; check with
-dev about that; see http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=1_alpha1 and
http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=iso1:alpha1_release_notes
 - the generic contribution guide is still empty; check with stormi,
-dev, -discuss about that; see
http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=contribute

>>  * other I may have missed?
>
> yep, a real wiki :-) the current one (temporary) not enabling teams to work
> together at full speed :/

No joke? We're all aware of that and if you were not aware of it,
there's a track to build the "better" wiki, only, it takes time and
people to do that - and we are short on both.

> I think to artwork - web team -and even translators (and users).

We all know teams have to build (and ask for, and use) their tools to
collaborate. So far however, there have not been many requests and
self-organization is not too bad this far.

> some time ago I wanted to
> propose http://mageiacauldron.tuxfamily.org/MageiaWiki
> and I think that http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=wiki_requirements is
> complementary, both could merge ;-)
> There's http://www.mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=web:wiki too

Well, yes, but here we already focus on a Mediawiki solution, and it
is to be implemented and mastered. And then we can move forward. For
now, we're at the setup stage, as you may know.

> For effective availability, I would see :
> - a basic instance available for testing [http://dev.wiki.mageia.org]

Why not.

> - for production http://wiki.mageia.org in any language, let's choose to go
> forward and just deploy it then see how people can use it

Why do you think we don't have the multi-locale wiki not setup yet?

> At the moment, we have http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=policies-review
> which lists long term documentation that should be translated for anyone to
> get involved. I'm a bit disappointed that it does not happen on a stabilized
> plateform with clear license policy and long term enhancements :/

Did you propose anything in this regard to the list of people working
on these policies?

> well, I should bring this subject to -discuss

Yes, indeed. Or -dev.

> maybe a blog post can explain how we are going to deploy alpha1 for this sunday?

15th is not on Sunday.

> who is concerned with iso testing ? who is concerned with wiki testing?
> (can we make it with catdap and missing plugins ?) who can be involved
> and what tasks should be done at the moment (packagers, developers,
> testers, marketing, communication, mirrors, council, board, translators,
> triage, sysadm, artwork, moderators, users and anyone that want to follow
> what is being done?)

There's a draft blog post about that. And we expect each team in the
project to gather, discuss and help improving the distribution (and
all that revolves around it).

> I think that an official wiki would get all people to involve, in a long
> term participation, WDYT ?

http://mageia.org/wiki/ is an official wiki, in English only.
Temporary, yes, but that does not prevent it from being used, the time
the better platform is set up.

And people to help in setting it up are _welcome_. We don't need much
more consulting than hands here.

Romain