[Mageia-artwork] Some creensaver and wallpaper ideas

Donald Stewart watersnowrock at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 09:19:18 CET 2011

On 7 March 2011 18:07, Romain d'Alverny <rdalverny at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 17:24, Romain d'Alverny <rdalverny at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I guess we need someone in the team in charge of
>> backgrounds/screensavers, that is: coordinating, gathering, selecting,
>> providing the result for validation to the team, and managing the
>> inclusion into the distribution (== having a very close relationship
>> with the theme package maintainer, or even having a commit access to
>> it).
>>
>> Who wants to take this role?
>
> An additional note.
>
> About the requirements for backgrounds, we have this:
> http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=artwork:installer#desktop_backgrounds
>
> Basically, we need backgrounds in 5 resolutions:
>  - 600x480
>  - 1280×1024
>  - 1920×1080
>  - 1920×1200
>  - 1920×1440
>
> (oddly enough, no 800x600 in the specs... :-/ ). Those files go in
> soft/theme/mageia-theme/trunk/Mageia-Default/background (PNG files).
>
> Wel also have extra backgrounds in
> soft/theme/mageia-theme/trunk/extra-backgrounds with free resolutions
> (JPG).
>

> About the screensaver screen: those are to be in
> soft/theme/mageia-theme/trunk/common/screensaver and seem to be in
> JPG, 1200x800 resolution.

The resolutions are very similar to the KDE4 ones which makes it
really easy for me as I have already resized and chopped up the
pictures. I'm glad that the folders for where artwork is stored have
been standardised, this annoyed my greatly on Mandriva.
Its seems odd that both 800x600 and 1024x768 have been dropped, maybe
it is worth adding 1024x600 for some new netbooks.

I was already considering asking if very is someone who wants to do
this, and if not I would offer to do backgrounds/screensavers. I was
also considering getting a contributor account to help out with my
basic packaging skills.

I'll finish off getting the pictures ready, and then post some rpms
either here or on mageia discuss for people to have a look at and see
what they think.

Donald