[Mageia-dev] Mageia repository sections, licenses, restrictions, firmware etc

Olivier Méjean omejean at yahoo.fr
Wed Oct 13 15:34:46 CEST 2010

Le mercredi 13 octobre 2010 10:19:17, Buchan Milne a écrit :
> On Tuesday, 12 October 2010 17:52:58 Tux99 wrote:
> > Quote: marc wrote on Tue, 12 October 2010 18:42
> >
> > > Unfortunately, if this is done, I will no longer be able to install
> > > legally any Mageia due to our laws. I think it is best if these are not
> > >
> > > installed but let users know where to get them, mostly through PLF.
> >
> > How do you expect Mageia to verify each single package to make sure it
> > complies with the laws in ALL countries of the world?
>
> So, because we can't comply with all laws in all coutnries, we should
> violate everyone we possibly can?

Because we can't be aware of all laws in all countries, we should do nothing ?
(after all that's the best way to break no law at all !)

> > Mageia should make sure that the packages comply with French law, but
> > that's it.
>
> If Mageia wants mirrors in countries with strong IP protection laws
> (including copyright, software patent) and anti-circumvention laws, then
> IMHO, there does need to be a split, so mirror maintainers can decide
> which risks they can accept.
>
> For example, in the DMCA case, I believe US mirrors hosting libdvdcss could
> be vulnerable.

There are mirrors of plf in USA, there is at least one mirror of ArchLinux in
USA that provides libdvdcss, there is at least one mirror of Linux Mint in the
USA that provides libdvdcss, there is PCLinuxOS based in USA (Texas ?) that
provides libdvdcss

VLC is available in USA to download (cnet.com) and VLC provides its own lib
for decoding (and coding) multimedia files (and from what i know, windows
binaries come with libdvdcss)

> > You can still install Mageia and then remove the packages that are
> > problematic in your country, I very much doubt your laws are that
> > draconian that you can't even do that.
> > Mageia could include an option during install to exclude the well-known
> > problematic packages from installation to make this easier for people
> > that live in countries with restrictive laws.
> >
> > > When I install Mandriva Free for people, I will let them know where the
> > >
> > > PLF repos are and the files needed and they install these themselves.
> >
> > This is a major hassle for new/inexperienced users and IMHO should be
> > avoided.
>
> Maybe it can be improved *to some extent*, by asking the user if they want
> to add additional repositories.

We cannot ask users to add third-part repos. We have discussing about Mageia
repos, policies of third-part repos should not be in our discussion.

> > > If Mageia packages include unlicensed software and codecs, the Mageia
> > > brand may be held legally responsible for marketing software in
> > > countries where the laws do not permit this.
> >
> > This is nonsense, Mageia can only be held responsible in France based on
> > French law (as long as Mageia isn't planning subsidiaries in outher
> > countries, which IMHO is unlikely and completely unnecessary for a
> > non-profit association).
>
> Anssi discussed various reasons packages aren't in Main or Contrib in
> Mandriva, and you devolve this discussion to be purely about software
> patents. However, the issues are:
>
> -non-free software for which we have no re-distribution license (e.g.
> Flash, we may be able to request a license, but most likely it would not
> allow Mageia to distribute a distribution license to 3rd parties -
> specifically mirrors).

The question of non-free softwares is simple. Either Mageia can add them on a
non-free repos, either it cannot.

The problem is around free softwares (free as free speech) that may violate IP
and that is depending of local laws. There are also free softwares that may
violate local laws (cryptography, rules for exportation for example). About
the latter question, OpenBSD is established in Canada to avoid some US rules
about exportation

> Regards,
> Buchan

Olivier