[Mageia-dev] Detailed version of the Mageia Unmaintained Packages

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 20:36:17 CEST 2011

Le 05/10/2011 01:44, Johnny A. Solbu a écrit :
> On Wednesday 05 October 2011 00:42, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
>> Nearly 3000 Mageia packages are on the unmaintained list. I've prepared
>> more detailed version.
>
> I notice that, according to this list, rsh is still provided. Why?
> Isn't OpenSSH a complete, secure, replacement?
Security isn't always a concern, and other issues may be more important
in some context. HPC is a perfect example. Also, they are secure usage
of rsh (and other tools relying on clear-text protocols), such as OTP
and kerberos tokens.

> Telnet I can understand, as it is also used to debug network problems.
> rsh should be dumped in order to urge the use of secure alternatives like OpenSSH, in my oppinion.
Only old timers use this kind of tools, I guess they know better than
packagers what they should do... So, as long as there is a volonteer to
maintain a package, I don't see how dropping it would make the situation
better for anyone.
--
Guillaume