[Mageia-dev] painful discussion n°1: debloating

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Wed Apr 11 11:44:43 CEST 2012

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 05:14:53PM +0800, You-Cheng Hsieh wrote:
> I suppose you agreed to move the suggests if it does affect minimal install:
> https://www.mageia.org/pipermail/mageia-dev/2012-March/013365.html

Not really. If you select a minimal install no suggests should be
installed.

However, seems that in almost every install seahorse might be installed
(tv saying that we go from something like glib -> gio -> .. ->
seahorse). Almost every install might have glib going to seahorse. That
bit is the concern. I don't care about minimal; in a minimal, it just
should not install suggests and I really don't care if that currently
works in the installer or not.
Currently almost every install might end up having gnome-keyring. Even
if often it isn't used. That's a concern.

Around GNOME 3.6 gnome-keyring will be replaced with libsecret. So
although gnomekeyring->seahorse currently makes sense, in future we'd
need to do things differently anyway.

So, yeah, move the suggests and remove totem-mozilla from CAT_KDE. But
not because of the minimal install.

This might result in some users not having seahorse anymore though.

--
Regards,
Olav